Saturday, September 5, 2009

back to the basics

Last night I cracked open my GRE prep book for the first time (which is good since I'll have to take the test in oh, a month). I read the overview of the Verbal section and felt pretty confident that I would do well. Then I moved on to the Quantitative section, which includes subjects I haven't studied since high school, including Arithmetic (maybe that was grade school), Algebra (8th grade), Geometry (freshman year), and Data Analysis (last year, byah!). I mentally dusted off the cardboard boxes in my brain that hold all this information and tried my hand at a few of the practice problems. One of them was finding the area of an isosceles triangle. I couldn't do it. I also could't remember the Pythagorean Theorem. I panicked for about 10 minutes that I would be a complete failure because I graduated with honors from a UC and couldn't do simple geometry.

Luckily, my boyfriend tutors high schoolers in math. Hopefully he accepts payment in undying love and DiGiorno pizza.

In other news: 5.2 miles today. Right on track for my half marathon in January. Feeling like a champ. I treated myself to some Body Glide as a "reward," but mostly because running is (literally) a pain without it. After I hit the 7 mile mark I might invest in one of those superserious water bottle belts...I will try not to think of it as a fanny pack.

1 comment:

  1. FANNY PACK!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHHAHAA.

    but seriously. I'm super proud of you. For one, starting to study for a huge test...that is a MONTH away. go you. and TWO. you ran HOW FAR!? HOLY SMOKES, you're super hot. <3

    ReplyDelete