Monday, July 12, 2010

empire state of mind

Disclaimer: this post is not really about food. Well, maybe. We'll see.

-----

Tomorrow I embark on a journey across the country, to an unknown land...New York, baby!! Jon's lovely sister Jessie is marrying her sweetheart Steve at a gorgeous golf course in Long Island. I am so honored to have been invited to share in this celebration with them. Jon's parents and siblings have been like my second family in the 4 1/2 years together. It will be a really special week, to be sure - great company, great location, and a great reason to celebrate!

Only one hurdle had to be confronted before I could really get excited: packing. That daunting task is the bane of my traveling existence! I am a notorious overpacker. Just ask Jon: weekends at his place in LA always call for a full duffel bag, a smaller bag, and a stuffed purse, full of those "just-in-case" items like an umbrella (despite a sunny forecast), extra pairs of underwear, another pair of shoes that doesn't really go with anything but just in case I break a pair, an extra shirt in case I spill something on myself...you get the idea. So this time around, I vowed to keep it simple. My weapons of choice for packing light: a strict list, and the bundle packing method. Originally introduced to me through the lovely ladies at academichic, I decided to give it a whirl for this trip.

My progress, in pictures:

Laying out clothes on my bed. I think I ended up with 5 shirts, 1 pair shorts, 1 skirt, 1 pair jeans, 2 cardigans, 3 dresses (wedding, rehearsal, casual), running stuff, and 4 pairs of shoes (couldn't help myself!).

I arranged my garments around my "core" of undies, my fabulous madebyhank clutch (looking at you, Joyce), and a pair of wedges.

Ta-dah! The final package, nestled in my carry-on with room for gym clothes, jewelry, wedding shoes, and my hairdryer.

I just need to put a few things in Jon's check-on, namely another pair of shoes, my sneakers, and my bigger liquids like sunscreen. But otherwise, I'm a carry-on kinda gal this week! Woo!

Now I'm free to dream about days by the pool, greasy slices of New York-style pizza, and of course, seeing Jessie as a beautiful bride :)

Here's hoping for safe travels, and many adventures (food and otherwise) in the Empire State!

3 comments:

  1. i admire you for this. i have stopped trying to condense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG

    i like everything about this post

    look at you, being all academic and chic. yeah. my lil brie. on my CRAWAISANT.

    have fun in new york! skype date when you return and i can't wait to see all your cute ass pictures and hear all your gagaliciously cute stories about you and jon.

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM SO PROUD OF YOU!!! I can't wait to see the wonderful pictures. Only 40 days my lovely. <3

    ReplyDelete